17.10.08

Ozone, EcoButton, and a new AMD Box for a nudist housewife aficionado

So a client of mine has an older (insert name of popular-mass-market consumer grade PC here) which unbenounced to his wife, he uses late at night to surf various online dating sites, coarse women to send him pictures in various stages of grotesqueness, and in turn get his jollies.
....Don't ask me how I know...
But pose as a nudist housewife on a certain personals site and your likely to get shaken down for some hot pix...

So I get a call from him complaining of smelling "OZONE" and not being able to start his computer he said: " I went to start my computer and I heard a pop and the thing smoked and I could smell OZONE!! So i turned it off but the power button didn't work." When I got there he asked me why there were two buttons on his machine, and I explained what a restart button does. Well to his dismay his power supply just happened to take a smoke-fuming pop of a dump and in a last-ditch effort to say "screw you cruel world", took the motherboard with it. Now I am building him a new PC and I thought I would take a moment to show you some interesting things I found.
The first point of interest is that AMD, the world's second biggest consumer-targeting company for Computer Processors, now gives you a free "ecobutton™" with certain processor models. So what the heck is an ecobutton™ you ask? Well this is straight from the souce, http://www.eco-button.com/usa :
"The ecobutton™ acts as a strong visual reminder and prompt for you to save electricity each time your computer is going to be left idle.

The ecobutton™ is illuminated and sits on your table/desk top next to your keyboard. It connects to your computer via a USB cable.

Each time you take a short or long break, a phone call, go for a meeting etc. you simply press the ecobutton™ and your computer is put into energy saving 'ecomode' which ensures that both your computer and monitor draw only the same nominal power as when they are shut down!"

So basically its a button that hooks up to the USB port and when you want to go into power-save mode you tap it. This is interesting, but only interesting its me in the way that I want this freebie to do something other than its intended to do.... I want to hack this. More to come on what I find out.

The Second interesting item of the day is when I purchased Memory for the PC I'm building, its a little different that the normal DDR2 DIMMs I've seen in the past. The RAM sticks are physically shorter, half the height of normal DIMMs check out he picture below:

It's interesting how everything keeps getting smaller, there are very few reasons to make the RAM smaller like this, Maybe to save on raw materials like the PCB board the chips are on or something. The only downside I can think of is maybe this will alter the heat dissipation since the chips are packed in closer, but for a consumer machine I doubt It will cause an issue. The model of this memory is Kingston valueRAM KVR800D2N6/1G
DDR2 800mhz PC2-6400 1GB
Kingston has a Lifetime Warrantee on all Memory.

Anyway Heres the setup for the computer:
Motherboard: Biostar K8M800 Micro AM2
CPU socket AM2, 2 Slots for DDR2 memory, Built-on LAN, Audio, Video. This is a really basic motherboard but from my experience Biostar despite the funny name makes really solid reliable motherboards.

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 2.5GHz Dual Core. This processor is cheap and really fast, while only sipping 65W and being really easy on the heat.

Memory: 2gb Kingston DDR2

Optical Drive: Samsung DVD burner

Hard Drive: 500GB western digital

Case: Cheapo

Power Supply: Coolmax 500W

This is a pretty solid setup for under $300 is you build it yourself, and shop the online stores for the parts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha smells like ozooone

http://www.burnbarrel.org/graphics/Ozone_Layer.JPG