14.10.08

So one of my customers calls me while I'm going to the bank with my girlfriend. She is an older lady who I've built a PC for and fixed several things for in the past. She is complaining of an issue where her email causes her computers to crash. I figure out from her talking that she is using web-based email, but she seems unsure of what site she even goes to or even what browser she is using. I ask:

"what browser are you using ma'am?"
she replies:
"Well my son uses Google, but I like to use yahoo."
I try to hold it together, and I ask again
" does your window say Firefox, or Internet explorer on the top bar?"
she immediately begins to read off ever word for each button on the what I'm guessing are several tool bars
"google toolbar, Google earth, yahoo games..."
I politely stop her to prevent this from taking all day.
"ma'am can you go down tot he start menu please, and read me the name of the first icon at the top left."
She opens the start menu,
"Okaaay... looks like I have 'connect to the internet'..."
she keeps reading down the list of recent programs and I cant stop her she completes the entire list of all the spy ware games she was recently used. Eventually I just get fed up and ask if its okay if I just make an appointment to come out the next day and switch her favorites over into Firefox so she wont have these problems because as most people know IE sucks.

A couple of my clients have had trouble with Firefox 3.0.3 crashing when they try to print, I haven;t found a solid fix yet but backtracking them to Firefox 2.0 seemed to do the trick. So now I always keep both 2 and 3 installers on my flash drive.

Download Firefox 2 installer
Download Latest Firefox installer

No comments: